Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Not a coach, a Dad

No one will ever push you as hard as a coach. Football, basketball, soccer, baseball, their all the same. As soon as you start to falter or fall their right there to push you back in the right direction.

   When I was nine years old I wanted to play football. Not only play football, but be good at it. In my neighborhood there were plenty of kids that played, but none my age, so I never got involved. Then one day my dad decided to coach little league. I saw the perfect opportunity to play.

  One warm summer day I stepped out on the field in pads and uniform, feeling so out of place. I looked around and saw no one I knew and on top of that I was by far the smallest. Intimidated was not even close to how I felt. Workouts began and I started to get the hang of things, I ran, hit, and threw just as well as everyone else. I was just a bit smaller.

   I saw this as a challenge, show everyone that size isn’t everything and throughout that summer it was just what I did.
  I cannot say I was the best but I had made much progress, none of which I could have done without a good coach. My dad was not only my coach, but my teacher, mentor, instructor, leader, but my friend. I was allowed to fall knowing that on my way back up he’d be there to help. He pushed me harder and farther than anyone to this day. I always looked to my dad as a teacher but after that summer he took on the role as a coach, which was an entire new perspective.  

9 comments:

  1. My father coached me as well as a child, in basketball. I never enjoyed it, and I like to think he realized this. As the years have progressed, our relationship has become one of silent agreement, knowing that we were both wise to accept my lack of athletic ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always trust your dad to help you become the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, this is so good! Your dad seems pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its good that you didn't let your size keep you from playing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, to have the same persistance as you had...

    ReplyDelete
  6. its nice to have someone you can always rely on. and way to persevere

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hardest coaches are you parents, I know from expierence. Never lose that persintence attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In todays world you see to many crazy parents who irresponsibly handle their children's athletic talent. Most parent-coaches are extreme jerks to their kids and thier relationships end up hurt in the end. Its good for you to have a dad who can push you while at the same time care for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. People arent always there to help you up but when they are it just makes you that much better. It really helps you to push through.

    ReplyDelete